Buying Domain Names and Blogging In Flight
I am sitting in seat 21F (exit row and nobody in middle seat YES!!!! next best thing to first class) on American Airlines flight 1727 somewhere between St. Louis and Los Angeles and on one hand loving it and the other thinking CRAP there goes any disconnect time I ever had.
I remember being jealous when I heard how there were so many flights in Europe with wi-fi aboard but as I thought about it at the time I realized I really did not want Wi-Fi on board. Why? Well one of the rules I always had during my business travels was that plane time was disconnect time for me.
When you spend your days filled with meeting after meeting and then working at night to prepare for the next days bid or presentation, etc the flight time was the only time to not have the laptop or cellphone attached to you.
Well, I knew American had put Wi-Fi on many of their flights and as luck would have it my second flight after leaving my old world has Wi-Fi. And what do I do 10 minutes into flight, yep you guessed it, booted up. There goes downtime.
Luckily now it is not quite the same since in reality what I do now is something that interests me and that changes things a bit, and I had several domain names I needed to pick up for customers (hand reg names, yes!) so I can whip ou out a quick post, respond to comments on my post about traffic coming from unlikely sources then buy some names. Then it is back to my Bose Quiet Comfort 3s and music.
Here are 5 reasons I like Internet access in flight:
1) I get to feed my addiction
2) I can catch up on other blogs, etc while in flight with no interruptions
3) I can respond to comments so people do not think I am avoiding them, just kidding:)
4) I get to buy domain names instead of you (yes you) grabbing them before me
5) Because I just like being connected
Now for 5 reasons I do not like in flight access
1) Because I have to admit I have an addiction
2) Because I now have no excuse not to respond to an email
3) Because the person next to me may watch some stupid video and think that I may be interested
4) Because the person in front of me is bound and determined to push their seat back and make me hit the publish before I am done
5) Because now I will have to go buy the power adapter for my laptop to fit the sockets on the planes.
Well, it is a 4 plus hour flight and I have one hour of battery left, at least that sets a timer for me to get off.